Monday, January 7, 2008

Album Review: Britney Spears - Blackout

Britney Spears - Blackout


01 - Gimme More - I don't own a Britney album, I just am a casual fan of her catchier hits. This, however, seems like a pitiful attempt to remain relevant in today's music scene. There's really nothing here vocally or lyrically . However, the beat is bangin' for the clubs. I just don't like the song, though. Rating: 2/5

02 - Piece of Me - "Whatchulookinat" and "Scream" meet Britney Spears. If you've heard one of these "the media is all up in my bidnizz and need to leave me alone" tracks, you've heard them all. Next. Rating: 1/5

03 - Radar - This is really reminiscent of something Rihanna would do; it reminds me of "S.O.S." Britney sounds really "kiddy" vocally on this track. I'm not looking for lyrical substance, so let's just ignore that this song has words and annoying refrain to match. Rating: 2/5

04 - Break The Ice - This is Britney's version of Madonna's "Music." A good dance, club anthem. I was just waiting for her to sing, "Ice, ice baby." It doesn't have that "Ice, ice baby" feel, but lyrically and the way she's delivering the chorus, it would be so appropriate. Rating: 2.75/5

05 - Heaven on Earth - Who the hell wrote for this album? This is a big, no remix necessary, club anthem. Not my cup o' tea. This song is actually too old for her; I hear someone like Cher or Donna Summers, in a desperate attempt to remain musically relevant, recording this. Next. Rating: 1.5/5

06 - Get Naked (I Got A Plan) - Awesomely oversexed. In some version, this instrumental track has already been used five other times on the album. The instrumentation is really trippy in a 70s kind of way. I wasn't even born in the 70s, but listening to my parents music when played, I get the same overall feeling hearing 70s music as I do hearing this. Out of sight! (LOL) This song is actually quite annoying. Rating: 1.5/5

07 - Freakshow - I was just waiting to chant, "Hey Mickey! You so fine, you so fine you blow my mind!" It's really reminiscent of "Mickey" just in a 2007 kinda way. This should actually be her next single. It's the strongest track on the album so far, although that's not saying a heck of a lot. Rating: 3/5

08 - Toy Soldier - If I hear one more track that sounds the exact same as every other track I've already heard, I'm gonna scream! Everything on this album is the same dag on beat, has the same chorus, and has the same delivery! Wait! Did she just bite off Destiny's Child, lyrically? DC sings: "I know some soldiers in here...they wanna take care of me." Britney sings: "I'm sick of toy soldiers; a boy who knows how to take care of me." Hmmmm.... Rating: 1.5/5

09 - Hot As Ice - Finally a change of pace--well, a marked change of pace. At any rate, this song is catchy as all get out. This should be her next single; hell, it's the only real single she has on the album anyway. It's like the 2007 version of "Toxic." Rating: 3.25/5

10 - Ooh Ooh Baby - Go to any basketball game and you can hear the drum track playing, with the crowd shouting to the beat, "Hey!" This track is nothing special, but it continues the change of pace for the album. However, the song is nothing special or even danceable. Rating: 2.5/5

11 - Perfect Lover - Instrumentally this is "The Way I Are" meets "Buttons" meets "FutureSex LoveSounds." This song is very sexy and seductive. This is another of the stronger tracks on the album; the vocal delivery is kitten like and lyrically, well, I said I wasn't going there. Rating: 3/5

12 - Why Should I Be Sad - This was the first real track on the album, and it's sad because it's like the ONLY decent track on the album that's completely it's own entity instrumentally and vocally (sort of). It's a bittersweet song, but Britney delivers in a way that only she can. Rating: 3/5

Overall Album Review:

I'm gonna keep this simple: download "Hot As Ice" and put on repeat for 8 repititions. There, you have the first 8 songs of this album. Then download "Perfect Lover" and "Why Should I Be Sad" and save yourself the overall disappointment of this "project."

Overall Album Rating: 1.75/5

No comments: