Monday, October 1, 2007

Album Review: Mandisa - True Beauty


Mandisa - True Beauty

01 - Only The World - This track is not the track to open up a CD with; it has that filler track sound (you know that "sound") all over it. Everything about this song is wrong: the vocals, while stellar at the bridge, don't match the instrumentation; the background vocals are very lifeless--very robotic. This is something I expect from Jessica Simpson's first album. In fact, it reminds me of Simpson's, "I Think That I'm In Love". Rating: 2/5

02 - True Beauty - The song has a very positive message to it; very India.Arie, "I Am Not My Hair" meets "Video." A very self-esteem driven lyric, proclaiming to let the world see your true beauty. The instrumentation is lacking, yes; very Amy Grant. Again, the vocals kind of overpower the instrumentation. Not my favorite track, but could see major success on Christian radio. Rating: 2.5/5

03 - God Speaker - This has the same overall lyrical theme (while being a tad more Christian) as "What If God Was One of Us." Mandisa delivers this gem effortlessly and powerfully; CeCe Winans would be proud. The instrumentation, though, is kind of all over the place in spots as if she runs ahead of it or it falls behind her. It's not a bad track, though once the instrumentation finds its place. Rating: 3.5/5

04 - Voice of A Savior - This is very Stacey Orrico (when she was still a Christian artist) meets CeCe Winans. A rock based track, Mandisa delivers the song effectively without getting overpowered by the track. The message is beautiful and so true. It resonates with me on so many levels lyrically; it's a very thoughtfully written track, and although it's been done before, it's altogether refreshing to hear again. Rating: 3/5

05 - Love Somebody (featuring tobyMac & Diverse City) - This is her single from the album if a single hasn't been released yet. This, while instrumentally blah, is a definite hit on Contemporary Christian radio, definitely. It has a very 90's-tries-to-be-70's-contrived soul feeling, and while it doesn't work on any level, the song is definitely a hit for her. It's more of a song you hear on at the end of a movie while the credits are running. It's akin to Aretha's 90's semi-hit, "Deeper Love." Rating: 2.75/5

06 - Unrestrained - I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary Christian music, but I'll give it a chance if the message is right and I, on some level, can stand to listen to it instrumentally. Lyrically, it's true testimony of any believer and speaks to where my heart is with God right now. Mandisa goes straight into worship vocally on track! It's an awesome worship track and this would be the follow-up single to "Love Somebody" if her record company were smart. It's an AWESOME TRACK, especially if you adore worship! Rating: 4/5

07 - Shackles (Praise You) - Yes, it's that "Shackles (Praise You)" by Mary Mary. I couldn't even listen past the first 35 seconds. The background vocals and instrumentation ruined it for me. If you're gonna remake a song like this, you better do it better. No thanks, ma'am. Rating: 1.5/5

08 - (Never Gonna) Steal My Joy - Instrumentally, it's the second coming of that 80's joint that goes, "everybody wants to..." (can't remember the words, but I think Tears For Fears sings it). If it weren't for her vocals and the lyrical content, this song would be automatically skipped, but she adds a little gospel fire to the song that distracts me from the instrumentation. Rating: 2.75/5

09 - Oh My Lord (featuring The Fisk Jubilee Singers) - This is probably the second strongest track on the album. It has that old, traditional gospel feel and this could be what she services to gospel music radio and it would go very far. It's semi-acappella, and she's sanging on this tracks. The breakdown on the bridge is catchy and I love it! This will definitely be going on repeat! Awesome Mandisa! Rating: 4/5

10 - Only You - Another CeCe Winans flavored mid-tempo Contemporary Christian track that Mandisa delivers on! She does not disappoint. Her instrumentalists, however, leave much to be desired. Rating: 3/5

11 - He Will Come - This is a very soft and delicate encouraging track. She delivers a it, her vocals overflowing with hope and only a piano and it's the third best track on the album. No big vocals, just Mandisa passionately singing out to God and it's another gem. Rating: 3.75/5
Overall Album Rating:

I am a gospel boy at heart; in other words, I love that choir sound from The Cosmopolitan Church of Prayer Choir and the Mississippi Mass Choir and gospel singers like Vickie Winans and Karen Clark Sheard. Rarely do I listen to contemporary Christian music, mainly because if I'm listening to gospel or Christian music I don't like studio tracks; I love live tracks with the congregation clapping, worshipping, and praising. Mandisa delivered a CeCe Winans flavored album which is not a bad that; I love CeCe. She just went a tad more contemporary Christian than I like, but the vocals are fire, the lyrics, while done in Christian music before are altogether refreshing, but her instrumentation is horiffic at times. It sounds very dated and sometimes even sloppy.

Would I recommend buying this album? If you love contemporary Christian music, you will love this album. Buy it. If you're more of a gospel boy like myself, I say download a few tracks and see if you like what you hear, then go from there.

Overall Album Rating: 3/5

No comments: