Monday, October 1, 2007

Album Review: Keyshia Cole - Just Like You




Keyshia Cole - Just Like You

01 - Let It Go (featuring Missy Elliott and Lil' Kim) - I tried to listen to this song with virgin ears, but I couldn't; it's been overplayed and, despite that, I still like it. Missy worked her misdemeanor magic with this track from the beat to her interpolations. The only problem I have with Missy's beats and rap interpolations is that they are all beginning to sound the same. Vocally, it's a tad strained but it works for the song. Instrumentally, it's nothing unlike what's on Hip-Hop radio today. Lyrically, blah. Rating: 3/5

02 - Didn't I Tell You (featuring Too Short) - One problem I have with the hip hop generation is that every song is carried by a guest rapper or entertainer; not to say that it's a bad thing occassionally, but the first two tracks should not feature guests. The vocals on this song are a smooth and distracts from the horribly cliched lyrics; the instrumentation is a typical hip-hop beat--crashing bass and lots of high hat. There's nothing original or different about this song. In fact, this song is better suited for Monica, but Keyshia does not disappoint. Too Short actually takes away from the song. This, though, will likely be a single from the album. Rating: 2.75/5

03 - Fallin Out - She sounds oddly like Deborah Cox on this track. This is a nice, smooth R&B track that will never see the light of day on radio. I'm proud of Keyshia on this track; every time I've seen her live on television, she has a hard time staying in the key she began in (I happen to measure all singers by the standard of live delivery--if you can deliver live without lipsynching and not going sharp or flat, you've, at the very least, earned my respect) but she kept the melody and harmony "in the pocket." My only qualm with this song is it required, at least at the bridge, some big SANGING which I think Keyshia is unable to deliver. It, however, is a nice mid-tempo groove and she delivers it convincingly and beautifully. Rating: 4/5

04 - Give Me More - This is definitely a "Diary..." era Alicia Keys track instrumentally. In fact, she sounds remarkably like Alicia in this track right down to her delivery of the song. It has that nice old school vibe to it and that's what pulses this song forward. Keyshia delivers this song like a pro; nothing contrived or forced here. Lyrically, it's not original; it has been done before. But she does it in a refreshing manner; it doesn't feel as if it's been done to death before somehow. Good job, Keyshia! Rating: 3.5/5

05 - I Remember - Deborah Cox, is that you? I swear this girl has tones from Deborah and Alicia Keys alike. This is an excellent slow groove. She has a slight problem with enunciation, but that can be overlooked for her delivery on this song. This sounds like an updated version of "Never Gonna Break My Heart Again" (Deborah Cox). Keyshia delivers a passionately soulful vocal on this song; I only wish it were longer. Rating: 4/5

06 - I Shoulda Let You Go (introducing Amina) - This is a filler track, but unlike most filler tracks, it's actually listenable. This is the uptempo follow up to "I Shoulda Cheated." Same message lyrically. Only the instrumentation differs, but the song is even in the same key as "I Shoulda...". Nothing special. Rating: 3/5

07 - Heaven Sent - Instrumentally this sounds like an updated mixture between Monica's, "Angel of Mine" and TLC's "Unpretty." This is an excellent track! The arrangement is beautiful. Keyshia needs to learn to interpret what she's singing though; she delivers an excellent vocal, there's simply no life in her delivery. Rating: 3/5

08 - Same Thing (Interlude) - Nice for an interlude. Again, she's falling into that traps of not interpreting what she's singing; excellent vocal, just no life in it. Luckily, I'm a vocal kinda guy... Rating: 3/5

09 - Got To Get My Heart Back - This is her Mary J. Blige track; sounds like it came off of Mary's, "Love & Life" release in every way. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mary turned this track down at one point. There's absolutely nothing special about this track or even remotely memorable about it. It's a filler track. Instrumentally, it's blah. Vocally, the same. Lyrically, nada. Rating: 2/5

10 - Was It Worth It - Skip this track. The songs seem to be getting progressively worse as the album goes on. Everything is beginning to sound the same--her adlibs, her lack of interpretation, the melodies, the harmonies, the same tired beats... Rating: 2/5

11 - Just Like You - Okay, it's getting on my nerves at this point! The delivery of each song has become the exact same. There's no living in the lyric, no build up, no nothing. The instrumentation is the same. The lyrics are cliches. It's irritating. And this is her gospel track, too...I'm a gospel boy and this ain't it...leave it to Kierra "KiKi" Sheard, Keyshia. Next. Rating: 2/5

12 - Losing You (featuring Anthony Hamilton) - They lost me the first 20 seconds of the song. There's nothing more that I despise than sampling the vocals of an old school classic then making it sound like one of the Chipmunks or Chippettes are singing it. Turn on R&B radio at any point during the day and you'll hear something mid-tempo that sounds like this. Next. Rating: 2/5

13 - Last Night (featuring Diddy) - It's getting painful now. I'd heard the song before and I liked it out of the context of the album. But now I hear it in the context of the album and how the last 3-4 tracks have been delivered the same way with the same adlibs and the same inflections, this song does absolutely nothing for me. Instrumentally, it's very 80s, but vocally it's tired. Rating: 2/5

14 - Work It Out - Sounds very "The Writings on The Wall" (Destiny's Child). It sounds a bit dated, but she actually does her thing on this track for the most part. I'm trying to get over the fact that her delivery is the same in each track. Rating: 3/5

15 - Let It Go (remix - featuring TI, Missy Elliott, and Young Dro) - It's your typical remix when one set of rappers think they can make the song hotter than the original set of rappers. Next. Rating: 2/5

Overall Album Rating:

There's no doubt that Keyshia can sing--at least on CD. I have yet to see her deliver live as a true singer (i.e., staying on key, not becoming pitchy, not straining every vocal, etc). But she delievered a strong 8 tracks. The rest of the album is simply filler and it even sounds as if Keyshia wasn't feeling singing it; every song and track began to sound the same which is unfortunate because this could have been a great 12 track album if she had got rid of some of the junk and found four more solid songs that match the first 8. I don't know how this album will perform or fare with her younger fanbase; there's a far more mature sound on this album and that works to her advantage, at least in my humble opinion.
Would I recommend buying this album? No. I say, join MP3.com and download the first 8 tracks for .99 cents a track.
Overall album rating: 3/5

No comments: