Saturday, September 22, 2007

Album Review: Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds



FutureSex/LoveSounds

01 - Futuresex/Lovesounds - Lyrically, it's cheesy as heck! However, I'm feeling and appreciating this new, more masculine sounding Justin. He sings this song like a man with lots of experience in this area. This samples some 80's beat (I'm thinking something Michael Jackson's "Thriller," but I'm not completely sure) and it is the pulse that drives this song forward. His delivery and vocal on this song is, dare I say, artistic and interpretive. Good job, JT! Rating: 3.75/5

02 - SexyBack - (I had to listen to this with virgin ears.) Lyrically, I'm LOVING IT (ba da ba ba ba)! "You see these shackles babe, I'm your slave/I'll let you whip me if I misbehave". It's playfully erotic and that's what makes this song work. The one negative drawback of this song is the computer altered vocals of Justin we get in the verses. However, that's also what makes the song playfully erotic; a playful, drunken erotic. Go 'head, be gone with it, JT! Rating: 4/5

03 - Sexy Ladies (Let Me Talk To You) >Prelude< - Justin is doing some new things with this album and with his style in general. He's trying to establish street cred and sadly, it seems to be working, LOL. He's effectively experimenting with the lower extremities of his voice and even a little rapping, and he sounds great! Lyrically, it's nothing but the second coming of "Like I Love You" and "Rock Your Body." There's also something very Prince-like about this song, especially instrumentally and in his interpretation of the lyric. Killer club song, especially with a hot remix. Rating: 3.75/5

04 - My Love (featuring T.I.) - Okay, Justin has been studying Prince's formula for lyrical interpretation, because he's doing the dang thing! The beat is slightly annoying, but his vocal more than makes up for that. It's a mid-tempo groove that will DEFINITELY go on repeat! This is probably one of the best tracks and vocals from Justin that I've heard in a while. Heck, all things being considered, it's one of the best male vocals laid down on a hip-hop track in a heck of a long time! Rating: 4/5

05 - LoveStoned - I Think She Knows (Interlude) - Remember how "Don't Worry, Be Happy" had no real percussion except (or music for that matter)? Well, this is what it would sound like remixed, updated, and hip-hopped. It's Justin's not-so-trademarked beatboxing. Lyrically, it's a song that a lot of men can relate to (and probably a lot of women as well). I like it. His delivery is very convincing and he's bringing the fire on his vocal! I'm just not feeling the abrupt drop off of the beat into an entirely new beat altogether. It's very Erykah Badu "Certainly" of him. Nevertheless, it's a hot track! Rating: 4/5

06 - Damn Girl - The funeral/haunted house organ chords that he has playing on the instrumental does not work for this song. Additionally, you can barely hear what he's saying because he sounds like he was too close to the mic. Lyrically, this song is nothing you haven't heard before. "There's something about the way you do the things you do when you do those things." He's whining on the 1st half chorus due to the throaty falsetto he uses. However, the rap is HOT on top of that old school, mid-70's vibe this song has going on! Not the strongest track, but I've heard worse from him on "Justified". Rating: 3/5

07 - Summer Love (Set The Mood) >Prelude< - He's doing the dang thing. That's all I can say. Rating: 4/5

08 - Losing My Way - Wow, Justin. He is really bringing the heat! He's interpreting lyrics and his vocals are on point and the arrangement is flawless. This song is a tad melancholy. He is truly dedicated to his craft, based on the way he's interpreting this lyric. The depression, helplessness, and hopelessness conveyed in this lyric and his interpretation is almost heartbreaking. Put this on after or before P!nk's "Just Like A Pill" and wow... Rating: 4/5

09 - (Another Song) All Over Again - The real, raw, vulnerability that he displays on this song wowed the heck out of me. I couldn't help but yelling, "SANG JUSTIN!" He actually brought unexpected tears to my eye with this song. That might be because I can really relate to this song, but his delivery is not at all shabby. He could teach these youngin's out here today singing a thing or two with a cut like this SANG JUSTIN! I knew Justin could sing, but I did not know he could SANG. Rating: 5/5

10 - Pose (featuring Snoop Dog) - I'm really enjoying this playful side of Justin. However, it kinda falls flat here lyrically and instrumentally (it is instrumentally clever at one particular point). This is the first filler track on this album. Rating: 2/5

11 - Until The End of Time - The boy can definitely sing. The simple harmonies on this song are classic and I'm feeling the nice, slow-groove thing he has going on here. Lyrically, this song is nothing spectacular, but it is heartfelt. The only qualm about this song is that the instrumentation is a tad lackluster, however once again, Justin more than makes up for that with his vocals. Good job, JT! Rating: 3.75/5


Overall Album Review:

This is the overall most strong album I've heard since "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." Every track here has the potential to be released and be a huge hit, aside from the last track. Would I buy it? Heck yes! Am I buying it? Heck yes! An album like this deserves to be a part of everyone's collection, not as a download, but as a purchased commodity. I really did not care for Justin Timberlake before this album; I knew of his hits and a few of his songs because my neice is a huge Justin fan. From this point, I will follow his career based on this album. Buy it.

Overall Album Rating: 4/5

No comments: