Saturday, September 22, 2007

Album Review: Monica - The Makings of Me



The Makings of Me

01 - Everytime Da Beat Drop - This song is so beneath her and is an insult to all true Monica fans. Uninspired. Trying to follow the latest hip hop musical trend. Disgusted. Rating: 1/5

02 - A Dozen Roses (You Remind Me) - WHAT THE HELL, MO?!! "Boy, you remind me of my Gucci shoes?" "You're butter on my shrimp; I'm Gladys Knight, you're my Pip?" What is the deal, Monica? Why are we doing a Beyonce and becoming entirely too materialistic? I feel insulted again. Is this is supposed to be 'hood Monica? I buy it in her personal life, but not on record. On record, it's an insult. Disgusted, again. Rating: 1/5

03 - Sideline Ho - I didn't have much hope for this song based on the title. What the heck is up with all the cursing just all of a sudden? I couldn't even listen to the rest of this track. Where the heck is Monica's head? I DO NOT BUY 'HOOD MONICA ON RECORD!!! This is disgusting. Rating: 1/5

04 - Why Her - Instrumentally, it's a tad reminiscent of "We Belong Together". It's nice groove, but lyrically it's just not her based on her past work. Vocally, it's nice and sweet. It's not groundbreaking. And if you heard it on the radio, you'd never be able to identify the song for the sake of conversation or who sang it. It's largely forgettable. She's clearly trying to be mainstream hip-hop now and she needs not. Sigh. Rating: 2/5

05 - Hell No (Leave Home) - Forgettable. Uninspired. Twista saved this song. Will I listen to this again? Hell no. Rating: 1/5

06 - Doin' Me Right - Next. Rating: 1/5

07 - Raw - Blah. Rating: 1/5

08 - My Everything - Finally, 7 tracks later, the Monica I first came to know makes a guest appearance on this album. I can easily see this being a part of a "For You I Will" medley. The instrumentation could be better and the song ended way too soon, but it is her strongest effort on the album thus far. Rating: 3/5

09 - Gotta Move On - You know, Missy Elliott is irking my nerves with her song intros--"New Monica s**t! Yup! Yes!" Shut up! Again, this is a return to the Monica I knew and fell in love with! Lyrically, it's juvenile and simplistic. Instrumentally, it's hugely forgettable, but Monica somehow salvages the song. Good job, Monica. Rating: 3/5

10 - Getaway - The most intimate, single most strong track on this entire project! This song is genious! She sings it with such vulnerability and conviction that you feel the pain. Great job vocally, instrumentally, and lyrically! Do the thing, Monica! Rating: 4/5

Overall Album Rating:



This album is supposed to establish street cred for Monica, something she quite clearly has based on her Vibe Magazine article. Nevertheless, if you download tracks 8-10, you'll have the strongest tracks (and the only one's worth hearing) on the album. This was her weakest effort EVER and I'm hugely disappointed as a Monica fan from the first CD.

Rating: 1.75/5

No comments: